Current:Home > StocksProsecutors ask judge to toss sexual battery charges against Jackson Mahomes -Infinite Edge Learning
Prosecutors ask judge to toss sexual battery charges against Jackson Mahomes
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 00:18:29
Prosecutors have filed a motion asking a judge to dismiss felony sexual assault charges against Jackson Mahomes, the younger brother of Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes.
According to court documents obtained by USA TODAY, the Johnson County District Attorney's Office said the alleged victim in the case is refusing to cooperate with prosecutors.
"The State is not seeking a continuance to continue to serve (the alleged victim) when she has made her lack of cooperation abundantly clear," according to the prosecution's motion to dismiss filed Tuesday.
In addition, an affidavit signed by the alleged victim in November shows the woman "never contacted law enforcement when the alleged acts occurred" and planned to invoke her Fifth Amendment privileges in the case.
"I will not cooperate with the State of Kansas in prosecuting the matter before the Court," the affidavit reads.
Popular spots to live include Kansas:Zillow's top 10 most popular markets of 2023 shows swing to the East
The allegations against Jackson Mahomes
A social media influencer, Mahomes was arrested in May in Kansas and charged with one count of misdemeanor battery and three counts of aggravated sexual battery.
The arrest came two months after police confirmed the 23-year-old was the subject of an investigation for two separate incidents that occurred on Feb. 25 at Aspens Restaurant and Lounge in Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City.
Mahomes allegedly forcibly kissed the 40-year-old owner and shoved a 19-year-old waiter more than once, the owner and waiter told the Kansas City Star.
He remained free Wednesday after posting a $100,000 bond following his arrest last spring.
Chiefs at Chargers:Predictions, picks and odds for NFL Week 18 game
Gag order in place
Brandon Davies, an attorney for Mahomes, previously said the court has prohibited Mahomes and his lawyers from commenting on the case.
Mahomes has more than 1.1 million followers on TikTok, more than 250,000 on Instagram and has been a consistent presence around his Super Bowl champion brother.
Online court records show Mahomes is slated to appear in court Wednesday for a preliminary hearing on all four charges.
Contributing: Chris Bumbaca.
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (687)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Germany bans neo-Nazi group with links to US, conducts raids in 10 German states
- How a rural Alabama school system outdid the country with gains in math
- Monday Night Football highlights: Steelers edge Browns, Nick Chubb injured, Saints now 2-0
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- UAW threatens to expand strike to more auto plants by end of week
- ‘It’s Just Too Close’: Pennsylvanians Who Live Near Fracking Suffer as Governments Fail to Buffer Homes
- Pennsylvania wants to make it easier to register to vote when drivers get or renew a license
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Trump attorney has no conflict in Stormy Daniels case, judge decides
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- New Spain soccer coach names roster made up largely of players who've threatened boycott
- Another option emerges to expand North Carolina gambling, but most Democrats say they won’t back it
- Indiana attorney general sues hospital over doctor talking publicly about 10-year-old rape victim's abortion
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- New Spain soccer coach names roster made up largely of players who've threatened boycott
- Kim Jong Un heads back to North Korea after six-day Russian trip
- A prison medical company faced lawsuits from incarcerated people. Then it went ‘bankrupt.’
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Generac recalls more than 60,000 portable generators over burn risk
The boys are back: NSYNC Little People Collector figurines unveiled by Fisher-Price
Sponsor an ocean? Tiny island nation of Niue has a novel plan to protect its slice of the Pacific
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Blinken meets Chinese VP as US-China contacts increase ahead of possible summit
Which carmaker offers the most dependable luxury SUV? See if your choice is on the list
Michigan attorney general blames Gov. Whitmer kidnap trial acquittals on ‘right-leaning’ jurors