Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Lawmakers author proposal to try to cut food waste in half by 2030 -Infinite Edge Learning
Rekubit-Lawmakers author proposal to try to cut food waste in half by 2030
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:39:16
PORTLAND,Rekubit Maine (AP) — A bipartisan coalition of U.S. lawmakers has introduced a proposal designed to cut food waste in half by 2030.
The lawmakers submitted their legislation on Thursday and said it would improve collaboration between the U.S. Department of Agriculture and regional waste prevention and food recovery organizations. The lawmakers said the proposal would also support new technological innovations and bolster the federal government’s approach to food waste.
Democratic Rep. Chellie Pingree of Maine and Republican Rep. Mike Lawler of New York proposed the bill in the U.S. House, and Democratic Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware and Republican Sen. Jerry Moran of Kansas did so in the U.S. Senate. Pingree said an estimated 30% to 40% of the U.S. food supply is discarded every year, and that is both bad for the environment and a contributor to food insecurity.
Pingree said the proposal “would strengthen the federal government’s approach to food loss by tackling waste in every step of our food system - from prevention research and education to composting and donation programs.”
The proposal would also establish an Office of Food Loss and Waste within the USDA.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Hey, politicians, stop texting me: How to get the candidate messages to end
- Amazon says in a federal lawsuit that the NLRB’s structure is unconstitutional
- Abortion rights supporters in South Dakota blast state’s video of abortion laws
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- LL Flooring, formerly Lumber Liquidators, closing all 400-plus stores amid bankruptcy
- Montana Gov. Gianforte’s foundation has given away $57 million since 2017. Here’s where it went.
- Jennifer Lopez Rocks Revenge Dress at TIFF Premiere of Her and Ben Affleck’s Film Amid Divorce
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Phoenix police officer dies after being shot earlier in the week, suspect arrested after shooting
Ranking
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Check Out Lululemon's Latest We Made Too Much Drops, Including $59 Align Leggings & $68 Bodysuit for $29
- Georgia's Romanian community mourns teacher killed in Apalachee shooting
- Kate Middleton Shares Rare Statement Amid Cancer Diagnosis
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- North Carolina GOP leaders reach spending deal to clear private school voucher waitlist
- 'Rust' armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed could plead guilty to separate gun charge: Reports
- Supreme Court Justice Alito reports German princess gave him $900 concert tickets
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
A Navy officer is demoted after sneaking a satellite dish onto a warship to get the internet
Swirling federal investigations test New York City mayor’s ability to govern
Nevada’s only Native American youth shelter gets lifeline as it fights for survival
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Forced to choose how to die, South Carolina inmate lets lawyer pick lethal injection
Montana Gov. Gianforte’s foundation has given away $57 million since 2017. Here’s where it went.
Here’s What Leah Remini and Angelo Pagán Are Seeking in Their Divorce