Current:Home > Scams2 Central American migrants found dead in Mexico after trying to board a moving train -Infinite Edge Learning
2 Central American migrants found dead in Mexico after trying to board a moving train
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 23:41:39
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Two migrants from Honduras and El Salvador died Wednesday trying to board a moving train in the northern Mexican state of Coahuila, authorities said.
Coahuila’s department of public security said the bodies of two male migrants, aged 22 and 23, were found Wednesday morning along the railway tracks near the town of Escobedo, about 150 kilometers (93 miles) from the Texas border.
The deaths are the latest in a string of accidents involving Central and South American migrants traveling north through Mexico on a network of trains known collectively as “The Beast” in a bid to reach the U.S. border.
A sudden surge of migrants last week triggered the closure of one U.S. border crossing and forced Mexico’s largest railroad to suspend dozens of freight trains.
Mexico’s President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Wednesday his office will invite about ten foreign ministers from countries where he suggested most migrants originate.
López Obrador said the meeting, expected to take place within the next 10 days, is an invitation to create a “joint aid plan” between those countries and Mexico.
“We have to reach an agreement. This is not just a Mexican issue, it’s a structural issue,” he said. Although he did not specify which countries will attend, he mentioned “a flow of migrants from Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Venezuela, Cuba (and) Colombia.”
As desperation to reach the U.S. border grows, Mexico is on track to break a record number of asylum applications this year. According to the director of Mexico’s refugee agency, applications could reach 150,000 by year’s end, well above the 129,000 record set in 2021.
Last week Mexico’s largest concessionary railway operator Ferromex temporarily halted service in the north of the country, citing about a “half-dozen regrettable cases of injuries or deaths” among migrants hopping freight cars in recent days.
In the same statement, the company noted “a significant increase in the number of migrants,” and specifically warned about the “grave danger” of boarding moving trains.
Despite warnings and canceled services, thousands of migrants continue to wait trackside and in railway yards across Northern Mexico. Ferromex said last week 1,500 people were gathered waiting in the city of Torreon, Coahuila, about 285 kilometers (177 miles) southwest of where the two bodies were found Wednesday.
____
Follow AP’s global migration coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/migration
veryGood! (2157)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Why Russell Brand Says Time of Katy Perry Marriage Was Chaotic Despite His Affection for Her
- 32 vehicles found in Florida lake by divers working missing person cold cases
- Harris will announce a new rule that raises worker pay on federal construction projects
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Half a million without power in US after severe storms slam East Coast, killing 2
- William Friedkin, director of acclaimed movies like The French Connection and The Exorcist, dead at 87
- Apple 24-Hour Flash Deal: Save $429 on a MacBook Air Laptop Bundle
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Soccer Star Alex Morgan Addresses Possible Retirement After Devastating World Cup Loss
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Senator Dianne Feinstein giving up power of attorney is raising questions. Here's what it means.
- Let’s Make a Deal Host Wayne Brady Comes Out as Pansexual
- Month-old walrus rescued 4 miles inland: Watch him get 'round-the-clock' care and cuddles
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Here's the truth about taking antibiotics and how they work
- New York City doctor charged with sexually assaulting unconscious patients and filming it
- New York City doctor charged with sexually assaulting unconscious patients and filming it
Recommendation
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Liberty University Football Star Tajh Boyd Dead at 19
Texans minority owner Javier Loya is facing rape charge in Kentucky
Woman in critical condition after being bitten by shark at Rockaway Beach in NYC
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Riley Keough Reveals Name of Her and Husband Ben Smith-Petersen's Baby Girl
The UK government moves asylum-seekers to a barge moored off southern England in a bid to cut costs
Wayfair’s Anniversary Sale Is Here: 70% Off Deals You Must See