Current:Home > NewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Drake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool' -Infinite Edge Learning
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Drake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool'
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 03:24:15
Drake Bell has been overwhelmed by the reactions to him telling his story in the documentary series "Quiet on SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank CenterSet."
The "Drake and Josh" actor said he was "still reeling" from the response after opening up about the sexual abuse he faced as a child, he revealed during a panel at an Emmys For Your Consideration event in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
"Having to tell this sensitive of a story, something I held inside for so many years," said Bell, 37, according to Deadline and People. "I'm still reeling from the idea of bearing my soul to the world."
Bell said he was partly inspired to speak up now because he hadn't seen anything written about former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck, 63, who was convicted in 2004 of lewd acts with a minor, revealed in the documentary to be then-15-year-old Bell.
"It was nowhere," the "Amanda Show" actor said. "I was so perplexed by that. This is the response that I feel should have happened so many years ago, the reaction that everybody is having now. This needs to change."
Bell said people have come up to him and sharing they now have the bravery to speak up, and call for laws to be changed.
"Hollywood is a beautiful place, full of fantasy and imagination and fun. But it's also a completely dark cesspool of disgusting waste," he said. "I'm hoping that we see shifts and changes inside the industry that are needed."
Bell appeared on the panel alongside "All That" stars Giovonnie Samuels and Bryan Hearne, who also speak out in the documentary, and filmmakers Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz.
Bryan Hearne defends parents of child stars, says he and mom are 'really good'
Samuels and Hearne appeared in "Quiet on Set" and discussed their experiences on the sketch show. The documentary series exposed several claims against the Nickelodeon series creator, Dan Schneider, of misogyny, racism and creating toxic work environments.
Hearne also defended the parents of child stars, saying they can only "do so much."
"I don't think it's on the parents," Hearne, 35, said. "I think that it's important that there are people on set … who are tasked to give care and caretake to the emotions of the children on set. That's the most important thing."
'Quiet on Set' new episode:Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
The "Hardball" actor also addressed speculation about the state of his relationship with his mother, Tracey Brown, who also appears in the series to discuss her experience as a parent on set.
In the latest episode of the series, Hearne participated in an emotional discussion with his mother, and the two said the documentary helped repair their fractured relationship.
"I (want to) clear something up about the narrative about whether or not I've been in touch with my mom since then," Hearne said, according to Deadline. "I didn't leave 'All That' and my mom. We have had a tumultuous relationship. We're on again, off again ... Right now, we're on again, and it feels permanent, and that's really good."
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (6)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- How to Watch the 2024 Oscars and E!'s Live From E! Red Carpet
- Millions of Americans overseas can vote — but few do. Here's how to vote as an American living abroad.
- How to Watch the 2024 Oscars and E!'s Live From E! Red Carpet
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Tennessee lawmakers advance bill to undo Memphis’ traffic stop reforms after Tyre Nichols death
- Feds investigating suspected smuggling at Wisconsin prison, 11 workers suspended in probe
- Workers asked about pay. Then reprisals allegedly began, with a pig's head left at a workstation.
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Xcel Energy 'acknowledges' role in sparking largest wildfire in Texas history
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- For Kevin James, all roads lead back to stand-up
- Horned 'devil comet' eruption may coincide with April 8 total solar eclipse: What to know
- Michael Strahan's Daughter Isabella Says She Screamed in Pain After 2nd Surgery Amid Brain Cancer Battle
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Kristin Cavallari Shares the Signs She Receives From Her Brother 8 Years After His Death
- Mississippi Supreme Court affirms a death row inmate’s convictions in the killings of 8 people
- Virginia budget leaders confirm Alexandria arena deal is out of the proposed spending plan
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
That's just 'Psycho,' Oscars: These 10 classic movies didn't win a single Academy Award
Putin’s crackdown casts a wide net, ensnaring the LGBTQ+ community, lawyers and many others
5 Most Searched Retinol Questions Answered by a Dermatologist
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
This Oscar Nominee for Barbie is Among the Highest Paid Hollywood Actors: See the Full List
MLB's best teams keep getting bounced early in October. Why is World Series so elusive?
Timberwolves forward Karl-Anthony Towns out indefinitely with torn meniscus, per report