Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-4 alleged weapons smugglers brought to U.S. to face charges after 2 Navy SEALs died in seizure operation -Infinite Edge Learning
Chainkeen Exchange-4 alleged weapons smugglers brought to U.S. to face charges after 2 Navy SEALs died in seizure operation
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:21:55
Washington — Four foreign nationals who were allegedly transporting Iranian-made weapons on Chainkeen Exchangea vessel that two U.S. Navy SEALs drowned trying to board have been brought to the U.S. to face criminal charges, making their first appearance in court on Thursday.
The defendants — Muhammad Pahlawan, Mohammad Mazhar, Ghufran Ullah and Izhar Muhammad — were taken into custody when a U.S. Navy ship intercepted their small boat in the Arabian Sea on Jan. 11. The vessel, or dhow, was allegedly destined for Yemen.
A team of SEALs from the USS Lewis Puller and a U.S. Coast Guard response team boarded the unflagged boat in a nighttime raid and seized "what is believed to be Iranian-made advanced conventional weaponry," according to charging documents unsealed Thursday. A total of 14 crew members were on board. In addition to the four co-defendants, eight of the remaining 10 witnesses are also in U.S. custody.
Prosecutors wrote that the vessel was transporting "propulsion and guidance components" for medium-range ballistic missiles and anti-ship cruise missiles, as well as a warhead. The weapons were likely intended for Houthi rebels in Yemen, who have attacked dozens of commercial and military vessels in recent months, according to investigators.
The Navy SEALs' deaths
Two of the SEALs — Special Warfare Operators Christopher Chambers and Nathan Ingram — were lost at sea during the mission. Defense officials told CBS News at the time that they fell overboard in rough seas while trying to board the dhow. After a 10-day search, the military declared the two SEALs deceased.
None of the defendants have been charged directly with the SEALs' deaths. According to prosecutors, Pakistani identification cards matching their names were found onboard their boat.
The seizure was the first time the U.S. military intercepted weapons from Iran destined for the Houthis since the rebel group ramped up their attacks on commercial shipping and international warships in the Red Sea in November 2023.
According to court papers, all of the crewmembers denied smuggling the weapons once they were in custody, though a few admitted to being drug smugglers. Other crew members identified Pahlawan as the leader of the group. He said he had been in Iran for two years and that the ship left Iran six days before it was intercepted by the Navy.
Pahlawan said the ship's Iranian owner gave him a satellite phone to communicate while at sea. Investigators said the phone received calls from a number associated with a member of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, an elite branch of the country's military.
U.S. investigators said that the ship originated in Iran on a route that included a stop in Somalia. The path was "consistent with other weapons smuggling operations," the government said.
The FBI and NCIS twice interviewed Pahlawan. He denied being the captain of the boat or knowing about the weaponry, but admitted to being the senior sailor onboard.
"Two crew members indicated that Pahlawan told crewmembers not to stop the [boat] while the Navy was approaching the dhow," according to charging documents. "At least one crewmember said that [Pahlawan] tried to make the dhow go faster when the Navy was approaching. Multiple crewmembers said it was another crewmember, and not [Pahlawan], who stopped the boat."
The other three defendants also denied knowing about the weapons on the ship. They are charged with providing materially false information to investigators.
Pahlawan faces that charge, plus one count of intentionally and unlawfully transporting explosive material on a ship, knowing it would be used to cause harm.
"Due to the publicity of the war in Israel and the Houthis' attacks on vessels in the Red Sea as a means of protesting the United States' support of Israel and as a means of supporting Hamas and Palestine … there is probable cause to believe that Pahlawan knew that the weaponry would be used by the Houthis against American and/or Israeli targets or interests," prosecutors alleged Thursday.
He faces a maximum of 20 years in prison if convicted.
The four defendants and eight of the witnesses who were aboard the small boat made their initial appearances in federal court in Virginia on Thursday, the Justice Department said.
"The Justice Department extends our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of the two Navy SEALs who lost their lives on January 11th while conducting an operation in the Arabian Sea," Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement. "The charges resulting from that interdiction make clear that the Justice Department will use every legal authority to hold accountable those who facilitate the flow of weapons from Iran to Houthi rebel forces, Hamas, and other groups that endanger the security of the United States and our allies."
Houthi rebels have now attacked or threatened ships in the Red Sea at least 60 times since November 2023, according to a defense official. The strikes are in response to ongoing war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, which began after Hamas' attacks across Israel on Oct. 7.
The U.S. military has since conducted roughly 30 defensive strikes targeting the Houthis, according to the Pentagon.
Robert LegareRobert Legare is a CBS News multiplatform reporter and producer covering the Justice Department, federal courts and investigations. He was previously an associate producer for the "CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell."
veryGood! (82)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Sex therapist Dr. Ruth is NY's first loneliness ambassador – just what the doctor ordered
- 100,000 marijuana convictions expunged in Missouri, year after recreational use legalized
- Expensive judicial races might be here to stay in Pennsylvania after record high court campaign
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Texas judge rules against GOP lawsuit seeking to toss 2022 election result in Houston area
- Stock market today: Asian shares fall after bond market stress hits Wall Street
- Belmont University freshman Jillian Ludwig dies after being shot by stray bullet in Nashville park
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- We're Still Recovering From The Golden Bachelor's Shocking Exit—and So Is She
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Tesla faces strikes in Sweden unless it signs a collective bargaining agreement
- Class-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico
- Nevada men's basketball coach Steve Alford hates arena bats, Wolf Pack players embrace them
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Crew aboard a U.S.-bound plane discovered a missing window pane at 13,000 feet
- San Francisco bidding to reverse image of a city in decline as host of APEC trade summit
- Louisiana governor announces access to paid parental leave for state employees
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
The Philippines and China report a new maritime confrontation near a contested South China Sea shoal
Dominion’s Proposed Virginia Power Plant Casts Doubt on Its Commitments to Clean Energy
42,000 Mercedes-Benz vehicles recalled over missing brake inspection gauges: See models
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Philip Pullman is honored in Oxford, and tells fans when to expect his long-awaited next book
Louisiana governor announces access to paid parental leave for state employees
Wisconsin judge orders former chief justice to turn over records related to impeachment advice