Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security -Infinite Edge Learning
Charles H. Sloan-Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 00:45:28
Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and Charles H. Sloanmoved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday. Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media. His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry's security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke's safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the "tragic death" of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the "likely significant public upset were a successful attack" on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
- A look at Prince Harry's legal battles against U.K. media
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an "honest opinion" and wasn't libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London's police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn't be used as "private bodyguards for the wealthy."
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
veryGood! (8764)
Related
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Sweeping gun legislation awaits final votes as Maine lawmakers near adjournment
- Mike Johnson takes risk on separating Israel and Ukraine aid
- North Carolina University system considers policy change that could cut diversity staff
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Unknown sailor's notebook found hidden in furniture tells story of USS Amesbury's WWII journey
- The Walking Dead’s Tom Payne Welcomes Twins With Wife Jennifer Åkerman
- Charli XCX, Troye Sivan announce joint Sweat concert tour: How to get tickets
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Former Wisconsin Democratic Rep. Peter Barca announces new bid for Congress
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- South Carolina Republicans reject 2018 Democratic governor nominee’s bid to be judge
- Mike Johnson takes risk on separating Israel and Ukraine aid
- Ashanti engaged to Nelly, reveals she's pregnant after rekindling their romance
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Republican AGs attack Biden’s EPA for pursuing environmental discrimination cases
- Minnesota Wild sign goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to one-year extension
- How Emma Heming Willis Is Finding Joy in Her Current Chapter
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Jontay Porter receives lifetime ban from NBA for violating gambling rules
Shapiro aims to eliminate waiting list for services for intellectually disabled adults
Indiana Fever's Caitlin Clark says she hopes the Pacers beat the Bucks in 2024 NBA playoffs
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Ashanti Announces She's Pregnant and Engaged to Nelly
Ford recalls more than 456,000 Bronco Sport and Maverick vehicles over battery risk
Dawn Staley shares Beyoncé letter to South Carolina basketball after national championship