Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris -Infinite Edge Learning
Ethermac Exchange-Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 03:44:06
TOKYO (AP) — The Ethermac Exchangeoperator of the tsunami-hit nuclear plant in Fukushima announced Thursday a delay of several more months before launching a test to remove melted fuel debris from inside one of the reactors, citing problems clearing the way for a robotic arm.
The debris cleanup initially was supposed to be started by 2021, but it has been plagued with delays, underscoring the difficulty of recovering from the plant’s meltdown after a magnitude 9.0 quake and tsunami in March 2011.
The disasters destroyed the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant’s power supply and cooling systems, causing three reactors to melt down, and massive amounts of fatally radioactive melted nuclear fuel remain inside to this day.
The government and the Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings, or TEPCO, initially committed to start removing the melted fuel from inside one of the three damaged reactors within 10 years of the disaster.
In 2019, the government and TEPCO decided to start removing melted fuel debris by the end of 2021 from the No. 2 reactor after a remote-controlled robot successfully clipped and lifted a granule of melted fuel during an internal probe.
But the coronavirus pandemic delayed development of the robotic arm, and the plan was pushed to 2022. Then, glitches with the arm repeatedly have delayed the project since then.
On Thursday, TEPCO officials pushed back the planned start from March to October of this year.
TEPCO officials said that the inside of a planned entryway for the robotic arm is filled with deposits believed to be melted equipment, cables and other debris from the meltdown, and their harder-than-expected removal has delayed the plan.
TEPCO now is considering using a slimmer, telescope-shaped kind of robot to start the debris removal.
About 880 tons of highly radioactive melted nuclear fuel remain inside the three damaged reactors. Critics say the 30- to 40-year cleanup target set by the government and TEPCO for Fukushima Daiichi is overly optimistic. The damage in each reactor is different and plans need to be formed to accommodate their conditions.
TEPCO has previously tried sending robots inside each of the three reactors but got hindered by debris, high radiation and inability to navigate them through the rubble, though they were able to gather some data in recent years.
Getting more details about the melted fuel debris from inside the reactors is crucial for their decommissioning. TEPCO plans to deploy four mini drones and a snake-shaped remote-controlled robot into the No. 1 reactor’s primary containment vessel in February to capture images from the areas where robots have not reached previously.
TEPCO also announced plans Thursday to release 54,000 tons of the treated radioactive wastewater in seven rounds of releases from April through March 2025 as part of the ongoing discharge plan.
Japan began releasing the plant’s treated and diluted radioactive wastewater into the sea in August, a decades-long project to remove it and make room for facilities needed for the decommissioning.
While Japan says the water is way safer than international releasable standards, the discharges have been strongly opposed by fishing groups and neighboring countries including China and South Korea.
veryGood! (3564)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- 'Robin Hood in reverse': Former 'Real Housewives' star convicted of embezzling $15 million
- 'Having a blast': Video shows bear take a dip in a hot tub in California
- Missouri death row inmate gets another chance at a hearing that could spare his life
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- DJT sinks to new low: Why Trump Media investors are feeling less bullish
- Golden Globes tap Nikki Glaser to be the telecast’s next host
- The new 2025 Lincoln Navigator is here and it's spectacular
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- 'Who steals trees?': Video shows man casually stealing trees from front yards in Houston
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Hard Knocks recap: Velus Jones Jr., Ian Wheeler, Austin Reed get one last chance to impress Bears
- RFK Jr. appeals ruling that knocked him off New York’s presidential election ballot
- Where is College GameDay this week? Location, what to know for ESPN show on Week 1
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- US Open: Iga Swiatek and other tennis players say their mental and physical health are ignored
- First look at new Netflix series on the Menendez brothers: See trailer, release date, cast
- Ben Affleck is 'not dating' RFK Jr.'s daughter Kick Kennedy, rep says
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Jeremy Allen White models Calvin Klein underwear in new campaign: See the photos
New US rules try to make it harder for criminals to launder money by paying cash for homes
Searchers find a missing plane and human remains in Michigan’s Lake Huron after 17 years
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Following protests, DeSantis says plan to develop state parks is ‘going back to the drawing board’
Defense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case
Armie Hammer sells his truck to save money after cannibalism scandal