Current:Home > ScamsSenior UN official denounces ‘blatant disregard’ in Israel-Hamas war after many UN sites are hit -Infinite Edge Learning
Senior UN official denounces ‘blatant disregard’ in Israel-Hamas war after many UN sites are hit
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:10:14
BEIRUT (AP) — The head of the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees told The Associated Press on Wednesday there is no safe haven in besieged Gaza for civilians — not even in U.N. shelters and so-called “safe zones” designated by Israel.
Philippe Lazzarini, commissioner general of the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, also known as UNRWA, said in an interview with the AP that since the outbreak if the Israel-Hamas war, more than 80 U.N. facilities in the Gaza Strip have been hit.
During the deadly Hamas-led Oct. 7 incursion into southern Israel, the militants killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took captive some 240 men, women and children. Israel responded with an aerial bombardment and ground offensive inside Gaza that has so far killed more than 16,200 people in the enclave, most of them women and children, according to the Hamas-run territory’s Health Ministry, which does not differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths.
The U.N. facilities hit “directly or indirectly” in Gaza include sites that have been sheltering civilians, Lazzarini said. UNRWA has said that more than 220 Palestinians were killed in such strikes, and that 130 of its employees also lost their lives in the war.
“There is absolutely no safe place in the Gaza Strip,” Lazzarini said, speaking to the AP in Beirut.
While the circumstances of those strikes are difficult to investigate amid the ongoing conflict, he said, “I do believe that the blatant disregard of U.N. premises … will require an independent investigation in the future.”
Israeli officials have said they don’t target U.N. facilities, but have also accused Hamas of using U.N. buildings for cover for its military activities.
The U.N. says some 1.87 million Palestinians — over 80% of Gaza’s population — have fled their homes. U.N.-run shelters currently house more than 1 million displaced in “totally overcrowded, appalling sanitary conditions,” Lazzarini said.
When he visited Gaza shortly before a seven-day cease-fire ended last week, shelters were already overcrowded with those who had fled heavy fighting in the northern half of the territory, he said. As the Israeli ground offensive pushed into the southern part of the strip, civilians have been forced into ever smaller areas along the closed-off border with Egypt.
Lazzarini said UNRWA is focusing on improving conditions in existing shelters, including its network of schools across Gaza.
“We do not want to put the people in places which are not necessarily safer, when at the same time, you have more than 1 million people in existing shelters living in appalling conditions,” he said.
Lt. Col. Richard Hecht, an Israeli military spokesman, alleged earlier this week that “there should be pressure on” UNRWA to set up proper facilities. Israel has never explained how it expects that the small area would accommodate such large numbers of displaced people.
Lazzarini called for a new cease-fire and for opening more border crossings to allow aid and commercial goods to enter Gaza. Currently, aid can only enter the strip from Egypt via the Rafah border crossing, causing severe bottlenecks.
The refugee agency’s relationship with Israeli authorities has in the past been adversarial at times, with right-wing Israeli politicians accusing UNRWA, which was founded in the wake of the creation of Israel in 1948 to serve hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who fled or were forced from their homes, of helping perpetuating the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
UNRWA has pushed back against such claims, saying it is simply carrying out its mandate to serve a vulnerable population.
Lazzarini said that in the current Israel-Hamas war, UNRWA is in “constant coordination” with Israeli authorities. Post-war, he said, the agency is prepared to assist whatever body is governing the strip in restoring services that have halted, including reopening schools.
Lazzarini added that he hopes the devastating conflict will trigger a political process that will lead to a resolution that would make his agency obsolete.
“Will this become a top priority of the region and the international community that once and for all we address the longest unresolved conflict,” he asked. “If yes, there can be a trajectory of hope for the people here in the region and the future for UNRWA in fact, would very much depend on that.”
___
Associated Press writer Josef Federman in Jerusalem contributed to this report.
veryGood! (8554)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Dartmouth basketball players vote to form first union in college sports
- 16 and Pregnant Star Sean Garinger’s Ex Selena Gutierrez Speaks Out on His Death
- Mega Millions lottery jackpot nearing $700 million: What to know about the next drawing
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Former Speaker Gingrich donates congressional papers to New Orleans’ Tulane University
- Liberty University agrees to unprecedented $14 million fine for failing to disclose crime data
- How Jason Kelce's Wife Kylie Kelce Feels About His Emotional NFL Retirement
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Riverdale’s KJ Apa and Clara Berry Break Up After 4 Years
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Brian Austin Green Defends Love Is Blind’s Chelsea From Criticism Over Megan Fox Comparison
- Taylor Swift baked homemade Pop-Tarts for Chiefs players. Now the brand wants her recipe.
- Noor Alfallah Experienced Life-Threatening Complication Before Welcoming Baby With Al Pacino
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Woman accuses former 'SYTYCD' judge Nigel Lythgoe of 2018 sexual assault in new lawsuit
- Panel says New York, Maryland and maybe California could offer internet gambling soon
- Arizona’s Democratic governor vetoes border bill approved by Republican-led Legislature
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
$200 billion: Jeff Bezos back on top as world's richest person, jumping Elon Musk in Bloomberg ranking
Jason Kelce makes good on promise to Bills fans by jumping through flaming table
Under $50 Decoration Tips for a Small Bedroom
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Man released from prison after judge throws out conviction in 1976 slaying after key witness recants
Montreal’s ‘Just for Laughs’ comedy festival cancels this year’s edition, seeks to avoid bankruptcy
EAGLEEYE COIN: Bitcoin to Reach $90,000 by End of 2024