Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Mourners bury Nahel, teen shot by police, as Macron cancels first state visit to Germany in 23 years due to riots -Infinite Edge Learning
Rekubit-Mourners bury Nahel, teen shot by police, as Macron cancels first state visit to Germany in 23 years due to riots
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:13:48
Hushed and Rekubitvisibly anguished, hundreds of mourners from France's Islamic community formed a solemn procession from a mosque to a hillside cemetery on Saturday to bury 17-year-old Nahel, whose killing by police has triggered days of rioting and looting across the nation.
Underscoring the gravity of the crisis, President Emmanuel Macron scrapped an official trip to Germany after nights of unrest across France.
The government deployed 45,000 police to city streets across the nation to head off a fifth night of violence. Overnight, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin tweeted that the night had been calmer than previous ones, thanks to "the resolute action of security forces." He put the night's arrest toll at 427.
Some 2,800 people have been arrested overall since the teen's death on Tuesday. Darmanin tweeted late Saturday that 200 riot police had been mobilized in the port city of Marseille, where TV showed footage of police using tear gas as night fell.
Near the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, hundreds of police with batons and shields stood restlessly along the Champs-Elysées, several in front of the shuttered Cartier boutique. Posts on social media had called for protests on the grand boulevard but the police presence appeared to discourage any large gatherings.
Earlier in the day at a hilltop cemetery in Nanterre, the Paris suburb where the teen, identified only as Nahel, was killed, hundreds stood along the road to pay tribute as mourners carried his white casket from a mosque to the burial site. Journalists were barred from the ceremony and in some cases even chased away. Some of the men carried folded prayer rugs.
"Men first," an official told dozens of women waiting to enter the cemetery. But Nahel's mother, dressed in white, walked inside to applause and headed toward the grave. Many of the men were young and Arab or Black, coming to mourn a boy who could have been them.
Inside the cemetery gate, the casket was lifted above the crowd and carried toward the grave. The men followed, some holding little boys by the hand. As they left, some wiped their eyes. Police were nowhere to be seen.
The unrest was taking a toll on Macron's diplomatic profile. German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier's office said Macron phoned Saturday to request a postponement of what would have been the first state visit by a French president to Germany in 23 years. Macron had been scheduled to fly to Germany on Sunday evening for the visit to Berlin and two other German cities.
Macron's office said he spoke with Steinmeier and, "given the internal security situation, the president (Macron) said he wishes to stay in France over the coming days."
Nahel was shot during a traffic stop. Video showed two officers at the window of the car, one with his gun pointed at the driver. As the teenager pulled forward, the officer fired once through the windshield. This week, Nahel's mother told France 5 television that she was angry at the officer who shot her son, but not at the police in general.
"He saw a little Arab-looking kid, he wanted to take his life," she said.
Nahel's family has roots in Algeria.
Race was a taboo topic for decades in France, which is officially committed to a doctrine of colorblind universalism. Critics say that doctrine has masked generations of systemic racism.
The officer accused of killing Nahel was given a preliminary charge of voluntary homicide, meaning that investigating magistrates strongly suspect wrongdoing, but need to investigate more before sending a case to trial. Nanterre prosecutor Pascal Prache said his initial investigation led him to conclude that the officer's use of his weapon wasn't legally justified.
Hundreds of police and firefighters have been injured in the violence that erupted after the killing. Authorities haven't released injury tallies for protesters. In French Guiana, an overseas territory, a 54-year-old died after being hit by a stray bullet.
The soccer star Kylian Mbappé, captain of France's national team, posted a message on social media Friday calling for an end to the violence.
The team was "shocked by the brutal death of young Nahel," Mbappé's statement read, but "the time of violence must end to make way for that of mourning, dialogue and reconstruction."
The reaction to the killing was a potent reminder of the persistent poverty, discrimination, unemployment and other lack of opportunity in neighborhoods around France where many residents trace their roots to former French colonies — like where Nahel grew up.
"Nahel's story is the lighter that ignited the gas. Hopeless young people were waiting for it. We lack housing and jobs, and when we have (jobs), our wages are too low," said Samba Seck, a 39-year-old transportation worker in the Paris suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois.
Clichy was the birthplace of weeks of riots in 2005 that shook France, prompted by the deaths of two teenagers electrocuted in a power substation while fleeing from police. One of the boys lived in the same housing project as Seck.
Like many Clichy residents, he lamented the violence targeting his town, where the remains of a burned car stood beneath his apartment building, and the town hall entrance was set alight in rioting this week.
"Young people break everything, but we are already poor, we have nothing," he said, adding that "young people are afraid to die at the hands of police."
Despite the escalating crisis, Macron held off on declaring a state of emergency, an option used in 2005. But government ratcheted up its law enforcement response, with the mass deployment of police officers, including some who were called back from vacation.
France's justice minister, Dupond-Moretti, on Saturday warned that young people who share calls for violence on Snapchat or other apps could face legal prosecution. Macron has blamed social media for fueling violence.
Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire promised government support for shop owners.
"There is no nation without order, without common rules," he said.
Darmanin has ordered a nationwide nighttime shutdown of all public buses and trams, which have been among rioters' targets. He also said he warned social networks not to allow themselves to be used as channels for calls to violence.
The violence comes just over a year before Paris and other French cities are due to host Olympic athletes and millions of visitors for the summer Olympics, whose organizers were closely monitoring the situation as preparations for the competition continue.
Thirteen people who didn't comply with traffic stops were fatally shot by French police last year. This year, three more people, including Nahel, died under similar circumstances. The deaths have prompted demands for more accountability in France, which also saw racial justice protests after George Floyd's killing by police in Minnesota.
- In:
- Emmanuel Macron
- France
- Germany
veryGood! (9896)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- TikToker Dylan Mulvaney Has a Simple Solution for Dealing With Haters on Social Media
- Stratolaunch conducts first powered flight of new hypersonic vehicle off California coast
- Theft of cheap gold-chain necklace may have led to fatal beating of Arizona teen, authorities say
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Biden plans $30 million ad blitz and battleground state visits as general election campaign begins
- West Virginia Legislature ends session with pay raises, tax cut and failure of social issue bills
- Judge rejects Texas lawsuit against immigration policy central to Biden's border strategy
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Fletcher Cox announces retirement after 12 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Nǎi Nai and Wài Pó Stars Offer the Sweetest Moment at the 2024 Oscars Red Carpet
- You Only Have 12 Hours To Save 30% on Poppi Prebiotic Sodas With 5 Grams of Sugar
- Heidi Klum, Tiffany Haddish and More Stars Stun at the Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars 2024 Party
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Maluma and Girlfriend Susana Gomez Welcome First Baby
- Slain woman, 96, was getting ready to bake cookies, celebrate her birthday, sheriff says
- Permanent daylight saving time? Politicians keep trying to make it a reality.
Recommendation
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Vanessa Hudgens Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby with Husband Cole Tucker
Trump supporters hoping to oust Wisconsin leader say they have enough signatures to force recall
Julianne Hough's Stunning Oscars 2024 Look Includes Surprise Pants
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Rupert Murdoch, 92, plans to marry for 5th time
No. 8 Southern California tops No. 2 Stanford to win women's Pac-12 championship
Jimmy Kimmel Takes a Dig at Barbie's 2024 Oscars Snub