Current:Home > MyActor Kevin Spacey found not guilty on sexual assault charges in London -Infinite Edge Learning
Actor Kevin Spacey found not guilty on sexual assault charges in London
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:56:12
LONDON -- Actor Kevin Spacey was on Wednesday found not guilty in a London court of a series of sexual assaults against several accusers.
Twelve jurors at the Southwark Crown Court had begun deliberating at about noon on Monday following a three-week trial. Spacey, 64, had pleaded not guilty to 12 charges of sexual assault.
The jury cleared Spacey of nine charges. The additional charges had been struck down before the jury began its deliberations.
Prosecutors had sought during the trial to label Spacey as a "sexual bully," and the actor took the stand to defend himself. Musician Elton John appeared as a witness for the defense, testifying remotely from Monaco about Spacey once attending a gala at his Windsor home.
Spacey had appeared in a London court in July 2022 to plead not guilty after Metropolitan Police formally charged him.
MORE: Kevin Spacey pleads not guilty to sexual offense charges in London court
The Crown Prosecution Service announced five charges against Spacey in May 2022, accusing him of sexual assaults against three men and one charge of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, prosecutors said. An additional seven charges were added in November 2022.
The Academy Award-winning actor has faced allegations and charges of sexual assault in both the United Kingdom and United States. He was found not liable in October in a civil sexual assault suit brought by fellow actor Anthony Rapp in New York City.
Spacey in May 2022 told "Good Morning America" that he would "voluntarily" appear in court in London.
"I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service's statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial, and innocent until proven otherwise," Spacey told "GMA" at the time. "While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the U.K. as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence."
Several of the U.K. allegations from 2001 and 2013 stemmed from Spacey's tenure as artistic director at The Old Vic, a London theater company. Allegations were made public in 2017, two years after Spacey had left his post.
"These allegations have been a shock and a disturbing surprise to many of us," Matthew Warchus, who followed Spacey as artistic director, said in a statement issued at the time. "It is incorrect, unfair and irresponsible to say that everybody knew."
ABC News' Joe Simonetti contributed to this report.
veryGood! (41715)
Related
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Blackpink's Rosé opens up about mental health, feeling 'loneliness' from criticism
- Why Americans feel gloomy about the economy despite falling inflation and low unemployment
- Tiger Woods commits to playing in 2023 Hero World Challenge
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- NCAA president offers up solution to sign-stealing in wake of Michigan football scandal
- Nearby Residents and Environmentalists Criticize New Dominion Natural Gas Power Plant As a ‘Slap In the Face’
- Sugar prices are rising worldwide after bad weather tied to El Nino damaged crops in Asia
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Taylor Swift Postpones Second Brazil Concert Due to Extreme Temperatures and After Fan's Death
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Tens of thousands of religious party supporters rally in Pakistan against Israel’s bombing in Gaza
- Pumped Storage Hydro Could be Key to the Clean Energy Transition. But Where Will the Water Come From?
- Hungary’s Orbán says Ukraine is ‘light years away’ from joining the EU
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Extreme weather claims 2 lives in Bulgaria and leaves many in the dark
- Joan Tarshis, one of Bill Cosby's 1st accusers, sues actor for alleged sexual assault
- Dolly Parton joins Peyton Manning at Tennessee vs. Georgia, sings 'Rocky Top'
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Australia says its navy divers were likely injured by the Chinese navy’s ‘unsafe’ use of sonar
Appalachian State ends unbeaten run by James Madison 26-23 in overtime
Swiftie who received Taylor Swift's hat at Cincinnati Eras Tour show dies at 16
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
'Day' is a sad story of middle-aged disillusionment
Thanksgiving recipes to help you save money on food costs and still impress your guests
Do snitches net fishes? Scientists turn invasive carp into traitors to slow their Great Lakes push