Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Niger’s neighbors running out of options as defense chiefs meet to discuss potential military force -Infinite Edge Learning
SafeX Pro Exchange|Niger’s neighbors running out of options as defense chiefs meet to discuss potential military force
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 23:15:39
NIAMEY,SafeX Pro Exchange Niger (AP) — Regional countries are facing a crisis of legitimacy as they run out of options and time to restore democratic rule in Niger after soldiers ousted the president last month, say analysts.
Defense chiefs from the West African regional bloc, ECOWAS, are meeting in Ghana Thursday to discuss Niger’s crisis after a deadline passed for mutinous soldiers to release and reinstate President Mohamed Bazoum or face military intervention. Bazoum was overthrown in July and remains under house arrest with his wife and son in the capital, Niamey.
This is the first meeting since ECOWAS ordered the deployment of a “standby force” last week to restore constitutional rule in the country. It’s unclear if or when troops would intervene. A force would likely consist of several thousands soldiers from Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Senegal and Benin and could take weeks or months to prepare, say conflict experts.
ECOWAS has a poor track record in stemming the region’s rampant coups: neighboring Burkina Faso and Mali have each had two within three years. Niger’s coup was seen by the international community and ECOWAS as one too many and in addition to threatening a military invasion, the bloc has imposed severe economic and travel sanctions.
But as time drags on with no military action and a standstill in negotiations, the junta is entrenching its power, leaving ECOWAS with few choices.
“ECOWAS has few good options ... particularly as the (junta) seems unwilling for the moment to cede to outside pressure,” said Andrew Lebovich, a research fellow with the Clingendael Institute, a think tank. “An intervention could backfire and damage the organization in numerous ways, while a failure to extract major concessions from the (junta) could weaken the organization politically at an already fragile time,” he said.
The top security body of the African Union met Monday to consider whether it would support military intervention but has yet to make public its decision.
The AU’s Peace and Security Council could overrule a military intervention if it felt that wider stability on the continent was threatened by it. If it rejects the use of force, there are few grounds under which ECOWAS could claim legal justification, said Lebovich.
In recent years, Western countries have poured hundreds of millions of dollars of aid into Niger, which was seen as one of the last democratic countries in the Sahel region south of the Sahara Desert that it could partner with to beat back a growing jihadi insurgency linked to al-Qaida and the Islamic State group. France and the United States have approximately 2,500 military personnel in the country, which trained soldiers and, in the case of France, conducted joint operations.
Since the coup, both countries have suspended military operations, which Sahel experts say is leading to an increase in attacks.
On Tuesday, at least 17 Nigerien soldiers were killed and nearly two dozen wounded in the Tillaberi region in the biggest attack by jihadis in six months. Former militants have told The AP that active jihadis are leveraging the coup to move around more freely and plan further violence while Niger’s security forces are distracted in Niamey and Western assistance has halted.
On the streets of Niamey, locals are both preparing for the possibility of a fight while also trying to cope with the impact of the ECOWAS sanctions.
Niger relies on neighboring Nigeria for up to 90% of its energy, which has in part been cut off. The streets are littered with generators powering shops. Restaurant owners say they can’t keep their fridges cold and have lost customers.
The sanctions are making it hard for aid groups to get food and supplies in. Before the coup, more than 4 million people in Niger — a country of some 25 million — were in need of humanitarian assistance, a number that’s now expected to surge, say aid groups.
Trucks are stuck at the borders with Benin and Nigeria. Routes through countries that have ignored the sanctions, such as Burkina Faso, are dangerous because they’re infiltrated with extremists.
“With the closure of land and air borders, it’s hard to bring aid into the country,” said Louise Aubin, the U.N. resident coordinator in Niger. Supplies such as food and vaccines could run out. It’s unclear how long the current stock will last, she said.
veryGood! (796)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- In the shadow of loss, a mother’s long search for happiness
- House GOP unveils $14.3 billion Israel aid bill that would cut funding to IRS
- Matthew Perry’s Ex-Fiancée Molly Hurwitz Speaks Out on His Death
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Family asks DOJ to investigate March death of Dexter Wade in Mississippi
- Messi wins record-extending 8th Ballon d’Or, Bonmati takes women’s award
- Surge in interest rates and a cloudier economic picture to keep Federal Reserve on sidelines
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- UN agency in Gaza says urgent ceasefire is `a matter of life and death’ for millions of Palestinians
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Judges say Georgia’s child welfare leader asked them to illegally detain children in juvenile jails
- Alabama man charged with making threats against Georgia prosecutor, sheriff over Trump election case
- Frank Howard, two-time home run champion and World Series winner, dies at 87
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Toyota, Honda, and BMW among 937,400 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- US wages rose at a solid pace this summer, posing challenge for Fed’s inflation fight
- Judge wants to know why men tied to Gov. Whitmer kidnap plot were moved to federal prisons
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Biden and Jill Biden hand out books and candy while hosting thousands for rainy trick or treating
Inside Matthew Perry's Bond With His Fellow Friends Stars
Sports Equinox is today! MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL all in action for only time in 2023
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Chinese factory activity contracts in October as pandemic recovery falters
Magic Johnson becomes the 4th athlete billionaire, according to Forbes
Man, teen charged with homicide in death of boy, 5, found in dumpster