Current:Home > InvestItaly migrant boat shipwreck: Whole families reportedly among victims who paid $8K each for "voyage of death" -Infinite Edge Learning
Italy migrant boat shipwreck: Whole families reportedly among victims who paid $8K each for "voyage of death"
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:31:44
Crotone, Italy — Rescue teams pulled another body from the sea on Tuesday, bringing the death toll from Italy's latest migration tragedy to 64, as prosecutors identified suspected smugglers who allegedly charged 8,000 euros (nearly $8,500) each for the "voyage of death" from Turkey to Italy. Premier Giorgia Meloni sent a letter to European leaders demanding quick action to respond to the migration crisis, insisting that only way to deal with it seriously and humanely is to stop migrants from risking their lives on dangerous sea crossings.
"The point is, the more people who set off, the more people risk dying," she told RAI state television late Monday.
At least 64 people, including eight children, died when their overcrowded wooden boat slammed into the shoals just a few hundred meters off Italy's Calabrian coast and broke apart early Sunday in rough seas. Eighty people survived, but dozens more are feared dead since survivors indicated the boat had carried about 170 people when it set off last week from Izmir, Turkey.
Aid groups at the scene have said many of the passengers hailed from Afghanistan, including entire families, as well as from Pakistan, Syria and Iraq. Rescue teams pulled one body from the sea on Tuesday morning, bringing the death toll to 64, said Andrea Mortato, of the firefighter divers unit.
Crotone prosecutor Giuseppe Capoccia confirmed investigators had identified three suspected smugglers, a Turk and two Pakistani nationals. A second Turk is believed to have escaped or died in the wreck.
Italy's customs police said in a statement that crossing organizers charged 8,000 euros each for the "voyage of death."
As CBS News correspondent Seth Doane reported, the latest migrant boat tragedy on European shores stoked a roiling debate over how best to address the refugee and migrant crisis facing the continent. Italy's relatively new, staunchly right-wing government has been criticized by the United Nations and many migrant advocacy groups for adopting policies that inhibit charities from rescuing people from crippled boats in the Mediterranean.
Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi pushed back strongly at suggestions that the rescue was delayed or affected by government policy discouraging aid groups from staying at sea to rescue migrants, however.
The EU border agency Frontex has said its aircraft spotted the boat off Crotone late Saturday and alerted Italian authorities. Italy sent out two patrol vessels, but they had to turn back because of the poor weather. The rescue operation then went out early Sunday after the boat had splintered.
"There was no delay," Piantedosi said. "Everything possible was done in absolutely prohibitive sea conditions."
Meloni's government — Italy's most far-right leadership since the days of dictator Benito Mussolini — swept elections last year in part on promises to crack down on migration.
During its first months in power, the government has concentrated on complicating efforts by humanitarian boats that had long carried out rescue operations in the central Mediterranean by assigning them ports of disembarkation along Italy's northern coasts. That means the vessels need more time to return to the sea after bringing migrants aboard and taking them safely to shore.
Piantedosi noted to newspaper Corriere della Sera that aid groups don't normally operate in the area of Sunday's shipwreck, which occurred off the Calabrian coast in the Ionian Sea. Rather, the aid groups tend to operate in the central Mediterranean, rescuing migrants who set off from Libya or Tunisia.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Italy
- Boat Accident
- Smuggling
- Migrants
- European Union
- Human Trafficking
veryGood! (49)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Bank of Ireland glitch allowed customers to withdraw money they didn’t have
- Jason Aldean buys $10.2 million mansion on Florida's Treasure Coast
- Why Backstreet Boys' AJ McLean Separates His Persona From His Real Self as Alex
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Commission won’t tell Wisconsin’s top elections official whether to appear at reappointment hearing
- Inmates at California women’s prison sue federal government over sexual abuse
- Venus Williams, Caroline Wozniacki receive wild cards for 2023 US Open
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Sex ed for people with disabilities is almost non-existent. Here's why that needs to change.
Ranking
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- House Oversight Committee member asks chairman to refer Snyder to the DOJ for investigation
- House Oversight Committee member asks chairman to refer Snyder to the DOJ for investigation
- Bruce Willis' wife Emma Heming opens up about mental health toll of dementia caretaking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Fan names daughter after Dodger's Mookie Betts following home run bet
- Meryl Streep, Oprah, Michael B. Jordan to be honored at Academy Museum's 2023 gala
- Who is Trevian Kutti? Publicist who once worked with Kanye West named as Trump co-defendant in Georgia indictment
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Mom drowns while trying to save her 10-year-old son at Franconia Falls in New Hampshire
Body of strangled 11-year-old Texas girl found hidden under bed after sex assault, police say
Lily Allen Reveals Her Dad Called the Police When She Lost Her Virginity at Age 12
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Indiana test score results show nearly 1 in 5 third-graders struggle to read
You're not imagining it: Here's why Halloween stuff is out earlier each year.
UAW strike vote announced, authorization expected amidst tense negotiations