Current:Home > StocksPrince Harry Reveals "Central Piece" of Rift With Royal Family -Infinite Edge Learning
Prince Harry Reveals "Central Piece" of Rift With Royal Family
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 01:37:39
Prince Harry says the British tabloids are more than a royal pain.
In fact, the Duke of Sussex blames the tabloids and his family’s unwillingness to fight against them as a major reason for the rift between himself and the royal family like dad King Charles III and brother Prince William.
“I think that’s certainly a central piece to it,” the dad of Archie Harrison and Lilibet Diana (with wife Meghan Markle) told ITV’s Rebecca Barry as part of the network’s new documentary Tabloids on Trial. “But that’s a hard question to answer, because anything I say about my family results in a torrent of abuse from the press.”
The new series focuses on the 2011 phone hacking scandal, of which Harry was a victim of hacking and other illegal snooping in the 1990s and 2000s by major U.K. tabloids. Since then, the 39-year-old has brought lawsuits against multiple British publishing companies, including News Group Newspapers and Mirror Group Newspapers.
“I’ve made it very clear that this is something that needs to be done, it would be nice if we did it as a family,” Harry told ITV. “I believe that from a service standpoint and when you’re in a public role, these are the things that we should be doing for the greater good. I’m doing this for my reasons.”
“I think everything that’s played out has shown people what the truth of the matter is,” he added of his family’s choice not to join him in the cause. “For me, the mission continues, but yes, it’s caused part of a rift.”
In April 2023, during litigation against News Group Newspapers, Harry’s legal team alleged in court that Prince William privately settled with the Rupert Murdoch-owned company, per court documents obtained by Reuters at the time.
Though the documents alleged the dad of three—wed to Kate Middleton—settled in order to "avoid the situation where a member of the royal family would have to sit in the witness box and recount the specific details of the private and highly sensitive voicemails that had been intercepted” Harry’s legal team claimed, in documents obtained by NBC News, Harry was unable to bring his case to court originally due to his brother’s secret agreement.
According to the outlet, Harry claimed the deal was authorized by their grandmother Queen Elizabeth II and, while still ongoing, will prevent future litigation from the royals.
A separate lawsuit from Harry against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), however, has resulted in two victories for him.
Harry's attorney David Sherborne announced during a Feb. 9 hearing that MGN and Harry had reached a settlement that would see the publisher covering his legal costs and damages as well as an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000) for invading his privacy with phone hacking and other illegal snooping, per NBC News.
The news came two months after Harry was awarded $177,000 in damages after a judge found that phone hacking was "widespread and habitual" at MGN throughout the ‘90s and ‘00s and was covered up company executives.
"As the judge has said this morning,” Harry shared at the time, “we have uncovered and proved the shockingly dishonest way the Mirror Group acted for many years and then sought to conceal the truth."
(E! News and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (2)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Verizon bolsters wireless, home internet plans, adds streaming video deals and drops new logo
- Bachelorette Jenn Tran Shares Advice Michelle Young Gave Her About Facing Racism
- Are you traveling for July Fourth? Here's how to beat the travel rush.
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- The Daily Money: Peeling back the curtain on Boeing
- How The Real Housewives of New York City's New Season 15 Housewife Is Making History
- The Supreme Court allows emergency abortions in Idaho for now in a limited ruling
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Investigators recommend Northwestern enhance hazing prevention training
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Caitlin Clark hasn't saved Indiana Fever. Team has 'a lot of growing up to do.'
- Kentucky to open applications for the state’s medical marijuana business
- Future of delta-8 in question as lawmakers and hemp industry square off
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- John O’Keefe, the victim in the Karen Read trial, was a veteran officer and devoted father figure
- Jenni Rivera's children emotionally accept posthumous Hollywood star
- Princess Anne, King Charles III's sister, recovering slowly after concussion
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
7 people killed by gunmen carrying large weapons in house near Colombia's Medellin
Are you traveling for July Fourth? Here's how to beat the travel rush.
Princess Anne Released From Hospital After Sustaining Head Injury
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Knicks see window to play for NBA title and take a swing. Risk is worth it.
Brittany Mahomes Shares Glimpse Into Family Vacation With Patrick Mahomes and Their 2 Kids
Train derails at Illinois village; resident evacuation lifted