Current:Home > ContactLawsuit filed over department store worker who died in store bathroom, body not found for days -Infinite Edge Learning
Lawsuit filed over department store worker who died in store bathroom, body not found for days
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:10:58
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The family of a department store worker whose body remained in a locked bathroom for days after she died is suing the company, saying her body was so decomposed they couldn’t even hold an open casket funeral.
Cleaning worker Bessie Durham went to the family bathroom at the Belk store near Columbia, South Carolina, around 7 a.m. on a Thursday and died from a cardiac problem shortly after clocking in, attorney Chris Hart said.
She never clocked out and her cleaning cart sat outside the locked door for four days until Columbia Police called the store trying to find Durham because her family reported the 63-year-old woman missing, according to the lawsuit filed Tuesday.
The suit was filed a year to the day when her body was found on Sept. 19, 2022, at the store at Columbiana Mall.
The store was open for regular hours the entire time. Durham worked for a company contracted to clean the store, and the manager called while she was dead but no one had found her to complain the bathrooms weren’t getting cleaned, Hart said.
“They didn’t ask if Bessie was OK. They didn’t ask why hasn’t this cart moved in four days,” Hart said. “They asked why aren’t the bathrooms being cleaned.”
When police called the store, they pulled up footage from a security camera that showed Durham entering the bathroom shortly after her shift started and never coming out, the lawsuit said.
Belk didn’t respond to an email seeking comment about the lawsuit. After Durham’s death last November, the company said in a statement it sent its deepest condolences to Durham’s family and was trying to figure out what had happened.
Columbia Police investigated, but determined no crime had been committed, spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said.
An autopsy found Durham died from a cardiac problem, and older people often feel what seems like a need to use the bathroom in the moments before they are struck, Hart said.
The family isn’t asking for a specific amount of damages. The lawsuit said Belk employees should have regularly inspected the store not only for Durham’s safety, but the safety of shoppers and other employees.
The store began locking the bathroom after a shooting at the mall. Keeping the bathroom open, but locked, also created a safety hazard that prevented Durham from getting help, the lawsuit said.
Durham’s body showed obvious signs of decomposition when it was found, preventing the family from properly grieving, attorney Justin Bamberg said.
“This family should have had the opportunity to say goodbye the right way instead of having to sit at the funeral and smell the decomposing body of someone they cared about,” Bamberg said.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Barge hits a bridge in Galveston, Texas, damaging the structure and causing an oil spill
- All eyes are on Coppola in Cannes. Sound familiar?
- All eyes are on Coppola in Cannes. Sound familiar?
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 2024 NFL schedule release videos: See the video from every team
- Missouri lawmakers renew crucial $4B Medicaid tax program
- Eminem 'eulogized' in faux-obituary in Detroit Free Press ahead 'The Death of Slim Shady'
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas' Youngest Daughter's Name Revealed
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Honda recall: Over 187,000 Honda Ridgeline trucks recalled over rearview camera issue
- Bronny James focusing on NBA 'dream,' not playing with dad LeBron
- Lisa Vanderpump Addresses Rumors Vanderpump Rules Is Canceled Amid Hiatus
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Why Beyoncé’s Cowboy Carter Isn’t Nominated at 2024 ACM Awards
- PEN America, facing ongoing criticism over its response to the Mideast war, gathers for annual gala
- Future of Texas’ migrant-blocking buoys may hinge on whether the Rio Grande is ‘navigable’
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Avril Lavigne Addresses Conspiracy Theory That She's Been Replaced With Body Double Melissa Vandella
The most popular baby names for boys and girls: Social media's influence begins to emerge
Muth, 2024 Preakness favorite trained by Bob Baffert, scratched from Saturday's race
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
The most popular baby names for boys and girls: Social media's influence begins to emerge
Watch: Navy class climbs greasy Herndon Monument after two-hour struggle in freshman ritual
Cream cheese recall impacts Aldi, Hy-Vee stores in 30 states: See map