Current:Home > reviews4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in classmate’s deadly beating as part of plea deal -Infinite Edge Learning
4 Las Vegas teens plead guilty in classmate’s deadly beating as part of plea deal
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 23:15:40
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Four Las Vegas teenagers pleaded guilty Tuesday to voluntary manslaughter in the fatal beating of their high school classmate, as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept them from being tried as adults.
The teens originally were charged in January as adults with second-degree murder and conspiracy in connection with the November death of 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr. The attack was captured on cellphone video and shared widely across social media.
Each teen faces incarceration at a juvenile detention center for an undetermined length of time, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.
Minors prosecuted in the juvenile court system in Clark County, which includes Las Vegas, do not face traditional jail or prison sentences and instead are released from custody after they complete rehabilitation programs, according to Brigid Duffy, director of the juvenile division of the Clark County district attorney’s office.
The Associated Press is not naming the teens because they were younger than 18 at the time of the Nov. 1, 2023, attack.
Defense lawyer Robert Draskovich, representing one of the four teens, said after court Tuesday that the deal “was a very fair resolution.”
Lewis’ mother, Mellisa Ready, said she does not agree with the plea deal.
“There’s literally no one being held accountable with true punishment for my son’s murder,” she told the newspaper Tuesday. “It’s disgusting.”
In a statement to the AP last month after terms of the deal were made public, District Attorney Steve Wolfson’s office defended the resolution of the case as both thoughtfully addressing the egregious facts and potential legal challenges that prosecutors would have faced at trial.
The statement said the juvenile court system also is better equipped to offer the young defendants resources for rehabilitation.
In Nevada, a teenager facing a murder charge can be charged as an adult if they were 13 or older when the crime occurred.
Authorities have said the students agreed to meet in an alleyway near Rancho High School to fight over a vape pen and wireless headphones that had been stolen from Lewis’ friend. Lewis died from his injuries six days later.
A homicide detective who investigated the case told the grand jury that cellphone and surveillance video showed Lewis taking off his sweatshirt and throwing a punch at one of the students, according to court transcripts made public in January. The suspects then pulled Lewis to the ground and began punching, kicking and stomping on him, the detective said.
A student and a resident in the area carried Lewis, who was badly beaten and unconscious, back to campus after the fight, according to the transcripts. School staff called 911 and tried to help him.
veryGood! (79)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Anne Hathaway's Stylist Erin Walsh Reveals Her Foolproof Tips for Holiday Fashion
- 2 Chainz Shares Video from Ambulance After Miami Car Crash
- Why Daisy Jones' Camila Morrone Is Holding Out Hope for Season 2
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Cleanup, power restoration continues in Tennessee after officials say six died in severe storms
- Some Seattle cancer center patients are receiving threatening emails after last month’s data breach
- Tensions are soaring between Guyana and Venezuela over century-old territorial dispute
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Shohei Ohtani signs with Dodgers on $700 million contract, obliterating MLB record
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Krys Marshall Reveals This Episode of For All Mankind Was the Hardest Yet
- Philippines says Chinese coast guard assaulted its vessels with water cannons for a second day
- Heisman odds: How finalists stack up ahead of Saturday's trophy ceremony
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- In MLB's battle to stay relevant, Shohei Ohtani's Dodgers contract is huge win for baseball
- Former Black Panther convicted in 1970 bombing of Nebraska officer dies in prison
- How the Mary Kay Letourneau Scandal Inspired the Film May December
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
West African leaders acknowledge little progress in their push for democracy in coup-hit region
Heisman odds: How finalists stack up ahead of Saturday's trophy ceremony
A British Palestinian surgeon gave testimony to a UK war crimes unit after returning from Gaza
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Is the max Social Security benefit a fantasy for most Americans in 2023?
Army holds on with goal-line stand in final seconds, beats Navy 17-11
The History of Mackenzie Phillips' Rape and Incest Allegations Against Her Father John Phillips