Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Chris Kaba shooting case drives London police to consider army backup as officers hand in gun licenses -Infinite Edge Learning
Rekubit Exchange:Chris Kaba shooting case drives London police to consider army backup as officers hand in gun licenses
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 03:31:38
London - Britain's Ministry of Defense agreed to provide soldiers to support London's Metropolitan Police after more than 100 armed officers refused to go out on Rekubit Exchangearmed patrols over the weekend, CBS News partner network BBC News reported. The Met, as the London force is commonly known, said the officers were responding to the authorization of a murder charge against a colleague in the shooting of Chris Kaba, an unarmed 24-year-old Black man, last September. Later on Monday, the Met announced that it had enough armed officers who were willing to work, "to no longer require external assistance."
"There is a concern on the part of firearms officers that even if they stick to the tactics and training they have been given, they will face years of protracted legal proceedings which impact on their personal wellbeing and that of their family," London Metropolitan Police Commissioner Mark Rowley said in an open letter on Sunday. "Officers need sufficient legal protection to enable them to do their job and keep the public safe, and the confidence that it will be applied consistently and without fear or favour."
Kaba was driving last year when he was shot in the head and killed by police who stopped him because there was an alert out on the car he was in. His death sparked widespread protests and calls for an investigation.
Late last week, prosecutors said they had authorized a murder charge against the firearms officer who shot Kaba, who has been identified publicly only as NX121.
Before the prosecutors cleared the way for the officer to face the murder charge, only five armed police officers from the force had handed back their weapons permits, Britain's Guardian newspaper reported.
"Many are worried about how the decision impacts on them, on their colleagues and on their families," the Metropolitan Police said in a statement. "They are concerned that it signals a shift in the way the decisions they take in the most challenging circumstances will be judged. A number of officers have taken the decision to step back from armed duties while they consider their position."
According to government data, between March 2022 and 2023 there were 18,395 police firearms operations in England and Wales. In that time, there were 10 incidents where police intentionally discharged their weapons at people.
U.K. Home Secretary Suella Braverman, who is in charge of policing in the country, said the government was launching a review "to ensure [armed police] have the confidence to do their jobs while protecting us all."
"They mustn't fear ending up in the dock for carrying out their duties," she said.
Haley OttHaley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (37)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Andrew McCarthy reunites with the Brat Pack in 'Brats' documentary trailer: Watch
- Nvidia announces 10-for-1 stock split, revenue gains in first quarter earnings report
- How Jennifer Lopez’s Costar Simu Liu Came to Her Defense After Ben Affleck Breakup Question
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Ex Misa Hylton Speaks Out After Release of Cassie Assault Video
- Someone mailed a live rattlesnake to a California man. He thinks it was attempted murder.
- After Lahaina, Hawaii fire crews take stock of their ability to communicate in a crisis
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Ex-top prosecutor for Baltimore to be sentenced for mortgage fraud and perjury convictions
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Kelly Rowland appears to scold red carpet staffer at Cannes after being rushed up steps
- Bill OK’d by North Carolina House panel would end automatic removal of some criminal records
- First-time homebuyers aren't buying until mortgage rates drop. It could be a long wait.
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- With Copilot+PC, Microsoft gives laptops a new AI shine
- Austin police fatally shoot man seen making a bomb at a convenience store during a standoff
- New Jersey Devils to name Sheldon Keefe as head coach, multiple reports say
Recommendation
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
Hornets star LaMelo Ball sued for allegedly running over young fan's foot with car
Space oddity: NASA's so-called 'dead' Mars robot is still providing data. Kind of.
Jessica Biel Shares Rare Update on Her and Justin Timberlake's 9-Year-Old Son Silas
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Feds face trial over abuse of incarcerated women by guards at now-shuttered California prison
Jessica Lange talks 'Mother Play,' Hollywood and why she nearly 'walked away from it all'
Plans to spend billions on a flood-prone East Texas highway may not solve the problem