Current:Home > ScamsAppeals court tosses ex-Nebraska Rep. Jeff Fortenberry's conviction for lying to FBI -Infinite Edge Learning
Appeals court tosses ex-Nebraska Rep. Jeff Fortenberry's conviction for lying to FBI
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 07:11:47
A federal appeals court on Tuesday threw out the conviction of former Rep. Jeff Fortenberry of Nebraska for lying to the FBI about illegal contributions made to his reelection campaign, determining that he was tried in the wrong venue.
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals said in an opinion that Fortenberry should have been tried in Nebraska or Washington, D.C., where he made the alleged false statements to investigators and not in California, where his trial was held.
"Fortenberry's trial took place in a state where no charged crime was committed, and before a jury drawn from the vicinage of the federal agencies that investigated the defendant. The Constitution does not permit this. Fortenberry's convictions are reversed so that he may be retried, if at all, in a proper venue," U.S. District Judge James Donato wrote in a 23-page opinion.
A jury in 2022 found the Republican guilty of lying to federal authorities about an illegal $30,000 contribution to his campaign by a foreign national at a 2016 fundraiser in Los Angeles.
He was accused of lying during two interviews in 2019 with FBI agents who were looking into the illegal contributions and whether Fortenberry knew about them. The interviews occurred at Fortenberry's home in Nebraska and his lawyer's office in Washington.
As such, Fortenberry was not charged with violating election law but rather with lying to investigators. Donato noted in the decision that the district court had found that this type of violation could be tried "not only where a false statement is made but also where it has an effect on a federal investigation," but the appeals court said that "the Constitution plainly requires that a criminal defendant be tried in the place where the criminal conduct occurred."
Fortenberry, who resigned from Congress after the conviction, was sentenced to two years of probation and a $25,000 fine.
Fortenberry said in a statement that he and his wife were "gratified by the Ninth Circuit's decision."
"Celeste and I would like to thank everyone who has stood by us and supported us with their kindness and friendship," he said.
The Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- In:
- United States Department of Justice
- FBI
Caitlin Yilek is a politics reporter at cbsnews.com and is based in Washington, D.C. She previously worked for the Washington Examiner and The Hill, and was a member of the 2022 Paul Miller Washington Reporting Fellowship with the National Press Foundation.
TwitterveryGood! (81)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Joy in Mud Bowl: Football tournament celebrates 50 years of messy fun
- Brandon Sanderson's next Stormlight Archive book is coming. New fans should start elsewhere
- Go inside Kona Stories, a Hawaiian bookstore with an ocean view and three cats
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- All The Emmy-Nominated Book to Television Adaptations You'll Want to Read
- Michigan mess and Texas triumph headline college football Week 2 winners and losers
- Kendrick Lamar to Perform at 2025 Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Maui’s toxic debris could fill 5 football fields 5 stories deep. Where will it end up?
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- YouTuber Nikocado Avocado Debuts 250-Lb. Weight Loss Transformation
- Hunter Woodhall wins Paralympic sprint title to join his wife as a gold medalist
- Coney Island’s iconic Cyclone roller coaster reopens 2 weeks after mid-ride malfunction
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- NASCAR 2024 playoffs at Atlanta: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Quaker State 400
- Her father listened as she was shot in the head at Taco Bell. What he wants you to know.
- Manhunt underway for suspect in active shooter situation that shut down I-75 in Kentucky
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Which NFL teams could stumble out of the gate this season?
Nicole Kidman Announces Death of Her Mom Janelle After Leaving Venice Film Festival
Two astronauts are left behind in space as Boeing’s troubled capsule returns to Earth empty
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Scams are in the air this election season: How to spot phony donations, fake news
Michigan mess and Texas triumph headline college football Week 2 winners and losers
As US colleges raise the stakes for protests, activists are weighing new strategies