Current:Home > ScamsAugusta National not changing Masters qualifying criteria for LIV golfers in 2024 -Infinite Edge Learning
Augusta National not changing Masters qualifying criteria for LIV golfers in 2024
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:10:56
Earlier this month, the Official World Golf Ranking denied LIV Golf's bid for ranking points. Since then, LIV golfers like Bryson DeChambeau and Phil Mickelson have spoke openly about how the top golfers on LIV deserve world ranking points, and even going as far to say the majors should create special exemptions for LIV golfers.
However, don't expect the Masters to change anything for 2024.
On Thursday, Augusta National chairman Fred Ridley and R&A CEO Martin Slumbers spoke with members of the media Thursday at Royal Melbourne in Australia at the 2023 Asia-Pacific Amateur, a tournament where the winner receives an exemption to the Masters and Open Championship.
Ridley said the criteria isn't changing for the 2024 Masters.
"If you look back over the history of the Masters tournament and the qualifications that existed, we have changed those qualifications numerous times, dozens of times," Ridley said. "We look at those every year. We don't make changes every year, but we do look at them under the current circumstances.
"As you recall last year, there was some speculation as to whether or not we would invite LIV golfers, and we stayed true to our qualification criteria and we invited everyone who was eligible. Our qualifications are very much dynamic and we adjust to what we feel is the best interests of the tournament representing the best players in the world, so we always look at that."
The three changes for the Masters in 2024 were inviting the NCAA individual champion, winners of FedEx Cup point-awarding fall events and a tweak to the wording of the Tour Championship qualification.
The Masters normally invites the top 50 in the OWGR as well as past champions, PGA Tour winners and high finishers from other major championships.
Meanwhile, Slumbers said the R&A is reviewing its qualification criteria, which will be released early next year. However, Slumbers said recent conversations about exemption categories have been completely off the mark.
"I think it's very important that we don't lose sight of the fact that The Open is intended to be open to everybody, but you earn your place in the field and through exemptions and that won't change," Slumbers said.
STAY UP-TO-DATE: Subscribe to our Sports newsletter for exclusive content
There was a follow-up question specifically naming Talor Gooch, who won the LIV individual championship and made more than $35 million this year. However, he is not eligible for any majors in 2024 and sits outside the top 200 in the OWGR.
"(LIV golfers) made decisions based on what they thought was in the best interests of their golf careers, and we certainly respect that," Ridley said. "We do have in our invitation criteria, it does say that we reserve the right to invite special exemptions to international players, although we did issue a special exemption to an amateur (Gordon Sargent) last year. So we are always looking at that.
"But these decisions have been made, and we'll have to do what's in the best interests of the Masters and we'll continue to do that."
Added Slumbers: "From my perspective, without getting into detail, there are plenty of opportunities for any player in the world who thinks they are good enough to have a chance to qualify and play in The Open Championship irrespective of which tour they are participating on, and that will not change."
veryGood! (38)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Jamaican security forces shot more than 100 people this year. A body camera was used only once
- E-cigarette and tobacco use among high school students declines, CDC study finds
- Steven Tyler accused of 'mauling and groping' teen model in new sexual assault lawsuit
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Earthquake rattles Greek island near Athens, but no injuries or serious damage reported
- Packers fans tell Simone Biles how to survive Green Bay's cold weather
- Search for story in Rhode Island leads to 25-year-old Rolex-certified watchmaker with a passion for his craft
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- New video shows Las Vegas officer running over homicide suspect with patrol vehicle, killing him
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- King Charles III meets with religious leaders to promote peace on the final day of his Kenya visit
- Amazon founder billionaire Jeff Bezos announced he's leaving Seattle, moving to Miami
- Serbia’s pro-Russia intelligence chief sanctioned by the US has resigned citing Western pressure
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- 15 UN peacekeepers in a convoy withdrawing from northern Mali were injured by 2 explosive devices
- Slight change to Dakota Access pipeline comment meeting format, Army Corps says after complaints
- Rideshare services Uber and Lyft will pay $328 million back to New York drivers over wage theft
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
At least 9 wounded in Russian attacks across Ukraine. European Commission head visits Kyiv
Riley Keough Debuts Jet-Black Hair in Dramatic Transformation
Two former Northwestern football players say they experienced racism in program in 2000s
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
In lieu of flowers, Iowa football fan's obit asks for prayers for putrid offense
El Salvador electoral tribunal approves Bukele’s bid for reelection
Jeff Bezos to leave Seattle for Miami